Gray, Georgia Weather


Deadly fire
by Debbie Lurie-Smith
Jul 25, 2013 | 1709 views | 0 0 comments | 32 32 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Firefighters were unable to reach Sarah Clements, who was inside the home at 140 E. Clinton St. when the July 18 fire erupted in the kitchen, in time to save her life.
Firefighters were unable to reach Sarah Clements, who was inside the home at 140 E. Clinton St. when the July 18 fire erupted in the kitchen, in time to save her life.
slideshow
Tragedy struck a Gray family last week when a fire took the life of an elderly woman who was bedridden inside the home.

The victim was 80-year-old Sarah Clements, and the cause of the blaze, according to a report from state fire investigators, was unattended cooking. The fire was ruled accidental.

The home, located at 140 E. Clinton St., was destroyed. A report from the Gray Fire Department lists Lynn Hammer, who also lived at the home, as being transported to the Medical Center due to moderate injuries.

Firefighter and Jones County’s Deputy Emergency Management Director Bill Wright was also hospitalized after he suffered heat exhaustion at the fire scene. Wright has since been released and is reportedly doing well.

The GFD report of the fire, approved by Gray Fire Chief Max Wood, stated the fire department was dispatched to the blaze at 9:29 a.m. July 18 and arrived at 9:38 a.m.

For the full story, pick up a copy of this week's newspaper or subscribe to our e-Edition at http://ee.jcnews.com.
Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet