Emergency Management Director and Jones County Fire Chief Don Graham said the structure fire took place Aug. 29 at 129 Peachtree Street in Haddock.
The chief reported that the Jones County Department of Fire and Rescue responded to the fire, and three fire engine companies arrived at the scene to find a singlewide mobile home with heavy fire in the living room.
Graham said it took firefighters approximately 15 minutes to suppress the fire. He said Sharon Pitts and Jazmine, her 2-year-old daughter, were home when the blaze broke out, but both were able to escape harm’s way. No injuries were reported. The chief said the cause of the blaze was identified as a couch pushed up against an occupied wall socket that was feeding electricity to a window air conditioner.
The American Red Cross was dispatched to render aid to the homeowners, Terrence Pitts, his wife, and child.
Pitts works at the Gray plant of Ready Mix USA, and the company is reaching out to help him and his family. Angela Denton sent out an e-mail Friday asking for donations.
For the full story, pick up a copy of this week's newspaper or subscribe to our e-Edition at http://ee.jcnews.com.