Gray, Georgia Weather


Man dies from injuries received putting out fire
by Debbie Lurie-Smith
Jan 23, 2014 | 1415 views | 0 0 comments | 56 56 recommendations | email to a friend | print
The insulation in the well house is what caught fire, apparently from a heater placed inside to thaw frozen pipes.
The insulation in the well house is what caught fire, apparently from a heater placed inside to thaw frozen pipes.
slideshow
A Jones County man died from injuries received from a fire during the recent frigid weather, perhaps making him the county’s first known weather-related fatality not connected to traffic.

Jones County Fire and Rescue volunteers were called to the residence of 72-year-old Jerry Johnson on Pitts Chapel Road Jan. 7 in response to a burn victim. Emergency Management Director and Fire Chief Don Graham said the call was received at 12:37 p.m.

He said, when firefighters arrived, they found Johnson in his kitchen with his burned clothes on the floor. No one else was at home, so it is assumed Johnson made the 911 call himself.

The report of Jones County Sheriff’s Department Deputy William Jernigan, who responded to the call with Fire and Rescue, said he arrived to find the victim very badly burned. Johnson told responders that the pipes in his well house were frozen, and he set a heater in there to thaw the pipes.

“Somehow the insulation in the small building caught fire, along with the clothes Johnson was wearing. He was alone and was able to get his clothes off and call for help,” the deputy said.

Graham said he believes Johnson lit the heater, and it fell over. It caught the insulation on fire, and while he was trying to put the fire out, the victim’s jacket caught fire.

For the full story, pick up a copy of this week's newspaper or subscribe to our e-Edition at http://ee.jcnews.com.
Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet